(ConservativeInsider.org) – Most people take everyday supplies and items, like drinking water or air conditioning, for granted. But, residents of Lake Jackson, Texas, had a rude awakening this month after a 6-year-old boy passed away from Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba.
Josiah McIntyre was infected by the deadly amoeba either through the city splash pad or the hose bib at his home. He died on September 8, prompting the city to find the source of the organism. After initial results came back negative, additional tests occurred on September 22, with 3 of the 11 sites in the city testing positive.
The city sources 50% of its water from the Brazoria Water Authority, which is now believed to have carried the amoeba. To combat any further cases of Naegleria fowleri, local authorities advised eight communities near Lake Jackson, Texas, to stop drinking the tap water. Instead, they’re advised to use tanker trucks, bottled water, and well water.
Local reporters helped spread the information about a potential infection:
Heads up: State authorities warning about a brain-eating amoeba found in a southeast Texas water supply. Thousands of customers warned not to use water.
— Steven ABC13 (@StevenABC13) September 26, 2020
While this situation is devastating and calls for careful action, it’s not a common occurrence. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that only 34 deaths by this amoeba occurred from 2009 until 2018. Regardless, make sure to follow local water guidelines and only drink from designated safe sources.
Copyright 2020, ConservativeInsider.org