(ConservativeInsider.org) – Rick Harrison, who created the popular show Pawn Stars, lost his 39-year-old son Adam from an overdose of fentanyl.
In a statement given to the media, a representative for Harrison confirmed that his son died from a fentanyl overdose. The statement went on to say that the crisis being caused by fentanyl coming into the country via the southern border “must be taken more seriously.” Harrison shared a picture of himself and Adam on social media, expressing his love for his son. Former president Donald Trump, whom the elder Harrison has previously campaigned for, shared his condolences on the post.
The Harrison family rose to fame after creating the reality series “Pawn Stars,” focusing on the employees and customers of the World Famous Gold & Silver Pawn Shop, which Rick and his father Richard founded in 2009. Though Adam did not appear on the show, he did work for the family business.
Fentanyl is considered a Schedule II controlled substance by the Drug Enforcement Agency. It is about 100 times more potent than morphine, and two milligrams (which is smaller than a single grain of salt) can be lethal. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a report indicating that deaths from synthetic opioids (namely illegally manufactured fentanyl) increased by over 55% from 2020 to 2021. It has been noted that the main increase in overdose deaths in the last few years has been caused by fentanyl.
Kari Lake, a Republican candidate for Senate in Arizona, called the fentanyl that’s being transported across the southern border a “weapon of mass destruction.” Lake shared a story of a woman whose daughter died of an accidental fentanyl overdose after consuming what she believed to be half a Xanax.
San Francisco saw 806 overdose deaths in 2023, surpassing the previous record of 726 deaths in 2020. The Department of Public Health in San Francisco has noted that the majority of overdose deaths were caused by fentanyl.
Copyright 2024, ConservativeInsider.org